For More Info
For technology help
- Call 314-493-0400 and ask for the IT helpdesk.
- Or visit North Hall in person on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10AM-6PM
For academic or student support
- Call Assistant Superintendent Tina Clark Scott at 314-493-0419
For any other support
- Contact the Family Engagement Liaisons at Beyond Housing by calling 314-533-0600.
Download a printable handout with tips for setting up a home learning space, accessing Normandy’s portal, using Zoom, and more.Tip Sheet
The start of the school year has been stressful for most of our Normandy Schools Collaborative students and families. To help with this, staff from NSC and Beyond Housing shared the following practical tips. These are based on the experiences of families in the district—and they are happy to share more! Use the contact info on this page to get in touch with them.
- Communicate with teachers about your child’s learning style.
- For younger students, make a chart that reminds them when they need to start classes. It might also help to use alarms or timers.
- It may help to contact last year’s teacher to learn what rewards worked for your child.
- Get into a routine so each day feels predictable.
- To avoid power struggles, make your expectations clear. Talk about when homework needs to be done, when your child can take a break and play, and when you are available to help vs. when you are busy.
- Check in often during the day to see how your child is doing and what they’re feeling.
- Limit how much news about COVID-19 your child hears. Explain the basics to them in an age-appropriate way.
- If you get frustrated, step away for five minutes and then come back to the situation. You will have a different (calmer!) perspective.
- If the long-term situation starts to get to you, talk to a mental health professional. The Family Engagement Liaisons can help with this—call Beyond Housing at 314-533-0600 to connect with them.
These tips came out of the “Parent Toolbox for Student Success” workshop put on by teachers and staff from the Normandy Schools Collaborative and Beyond Housing on Sept. 23. Their goal is to help students—and their families—thrive during the 2020-21 school year. Use the contact information on this page to get in touch with them at any time with questions or concerns.
You may find these additional topics helpful: