Source: NBC News

Q: How much will I get?
If you made less than $75,000 in 2019, you will be eligible for the full payment of $1,200. Couples who filed jointly and made less than $150,000 will get $2,400. An individual who filed as “head of household” and earned $112,500 or less gets $1,200. For every child in the household, you will receive an additional $500.

Q: When is the money coming?
Checks will be sent out “within three weeks” to people for whom the IRS has information. You don’t need to sign up or fill out a form to receive a payment if you’ve been working and paying taxes since 2018.

The Treasury Department just released instructions for people who didn’t file a tax return for 2018 or 2019. 

  • The IRS is expecting to begin sending direct-deposit payments as early as April 9th
  • Paper checks will be mailed beginning around April 24

Q: Will there be multiple payments?
No – this is a one-time payment. The government may revisit the issue and provide more in the future.

Q: How will it be sent?
If you’ve gotten a tax refund in the last two years by direct deposit, that’s where the money will be sent. If not, the IRS can mail a check to your “last known address” and it has 15 days to notify you of the method and amount of the payment. They’ll send a phone number and appropriate point of contact so you can tell them if you didn’t receive it.

If you’ve moved recently, it may be a good idea to notify the IRS as soon as possible.

Q: I don’t file a tax return, what should I do?

If you are an eligible U.S. citizens or permanent residents who:

  • Had gross income that did not exceed $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples) for 2019
  • Were not otherwise required to file a federal income tax return for 2019, and didn’t plan to

You can provide the necessary information to the IRS easily and quickly for no fee through Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info. We will use this information to determine your eligibility and payment amount and send you an Economic Impact Payment. After providing this information you won’t need to take any additional action.

Non-filers, enter your info here

Or learn more on the IRS website

Q: I’m on Social Security and don’t make enough to file a tax return. Will I get a check?
Yes. You will be eligible if you received a Form SSA-1099

Q: What if I’m homeless or recently got out of prison? Will I get help?
As long as you have a Social Security number, you should be eligible.

Learn More