For More Info
For technology help
- Call 314-493-0400 and ask for the IT helpdesk.
- Or visit North Hall in person on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10AM-6PM
For academic or student support
- Call Assistant Superintendent Tina Clark Scott at 314-493-0419
For any other support
- Contact the Family Engagement Liaisons at Beyond Housing by calling 314-533-0600.
Download a printable handout with tips for setting up a home learning space, accessing Normandy’s portal, using Zoom, and more.Tip Sheet
As much as your student may want to stay in bed for virtual school, they’ll be more productive and peaceful in a space that’s specifically set up for learning. These suggestions come from Normandy Schools Collaborative teachers and administrators along with the education staff at Beyond Housing.
- Use a comfortable chair and desk (not the student’s bed).
- Let the student help set up the space.
- Get into a routine. Have your child do class in the same place each day. Make sure they log in on time.
- Plan where to put the Chromebook so it doesn’t show distractions (like other people, clutter, the floor, or pets).
- Keep supplies organized. Have notebooks, pens, and books in reach.
- Include active “recess” breaks for your child during homework time.
- Consider using a timer for young children so they know what to expect.
- Notice what motivates your child and implement it for academic achievements.
- Head off power struggles by observing what frustrates your child (and you).
- Ask your child how they feel it’s going—and be ready to adjust your plans and room setup to try new things.
- Give yourself grace! You don’t need you to be perfect at this.
These tips came out of the “Parent Toolbox for Student Success” workshop put on by teachers and staff from the Normandy Schools Collaborative and Beyond Housing on Sept. 23. Their goal is to help students—and their families—thrive during the 2020-21 school year. Use the contact information on this page to get in touch with them at any time with questions or concerns.
You may find these additional topics helpful: